Judy Beer is the Director of the Leicestershire Catholic Teaching School Alliance. Currently seconded from her role as Assistant Headteacher at Christ the King Catholic Voluntary Academy, she has substantial experience of primary school education, having taught in the city for the last seven years across the primary phase.
She has been the science subject leader for the past 5 years, guiding the school to the Gold Primary Science Quality Mark, the Gold Space Education Quality Mark and the Eco Schools Green Flag Award. Judy has also held the roles of maths subject leader and joint English subject leader.
In 2017/18, Judy was awarded a Primary Science Teaching Award by the Primary Science Teaching Trust and made a fellow of the college – she is one of only two fellows in Leicestershire.
Through her leadership roles, she has been involved in a number of school improvement projects including:
- the installation of a new junior site library
- improvements to the outdoor area with a sensory garden, greenhouse, raised beds and a pond
- auditing, re-organising and improving the stock of take home reading books
- implementing a new whole school programme of guided and shared reading
- organising two science weeks, a World Book Day, numerous parent events, and a whole school House Event
- assisting with a science event involving 12 schools from across the City – both primary and secondary
In addition, Judy has delivered CPLD sessions for the Leicester & Leicestershire SCITT, Challenge Partners, University of Leicester and the local science subject leaders’ group.